AHRS 3504 - the Jackie Cooper 100 S
100 S was originally restored in 1989 for Bill Wood by Fourintune Garage
in Cedarburg, WI. This was the second of four 100 S Healeys that Fourintune
has done and the only green 100 S.
S was built in February of 1955 for the 12-hour Sebring race for
Jackie Cooper. It was painted "spruce green," which
was a standard BN1 and BN2 color but unusual for a 100 S.
had raced a standard 100 (also Spruce green) with some success on
coast in SCCA races. He was a close friend of Donald Healey
and was one of the drivers who helped establish speed records at the
Salt Flats - he narrated the Bonneville films for Austin of England.
The photo above is the car at the Meadowbrook Hall Concours where
it was competing for the Peter Helck trophy in 1990.
was able to correspond with Cooper prior to Fourintune's
restoration - these old photos and notes are from his files.
a memo dated 11/30 to Bill Wood, Cooper writes," In Sebring faulty
wiring caused battery failure & I had to push the car over a mile!.Actually,
I had more success with a stock 100 and a personally modified 100 in
1954. Ferrari came out with a 2.80 in our class in 1955 & whipped
our ass. My 100 S was one of the first four to reach this country in "55,
so I never saw a dash-plaque."
plaque he refers to is the one that states that the car is a "replica" of the special test car raced at Sebring in March of 1954.
In 1955, the word, "replica" was used to describe a car of the same
specification. Wood opted to put the plaque on the dash during the
the special test car, #29 or NOJ 391, is adjusted during a pit stop
at the 1954 Sebring race. The Healey finished third overall and was
driven by Lance Macklin and George Huntoon. This is the car that Tom
Kovacs discovered "under" the body of AHSR 3804 currently owned by
Fred Hunter. It was the inspiration for the 100 S proto-type that is
discussed in the "featured restorations" section.
team is one of the seven 100S entries shown on the 1955 Sebring Entry
list. Other drivers included: Bill Cook,
R. Fergus, Stirling Moss, Fred Allen, Wm. Brewster, and J. Fergusson. The
partial list shows three 100 models in class D as well in addition
to a Nash-Healey "Lemans" in class B. The book, "12 Hours of Sebring," by
Ken Breslauer lists the Moss/Macklin 100 S as the top Healey, 6th overall
and 5th in class D. The Cooper car is shown as finishing
41st overall and 14th in class D - no doubt due
in part to the electrical problems he mentioned in his memo to Wood.
These photos and racing records were sent to Bill Wood by Cooper prior
photo above shows Cooper behind the wheel of #42 with co-driver,
Roy Jackson-Moore. The perspex windshield is removed from the frame
and a Brooklands screen mounted for the driver.
a photo of Jackie with his wife giving him either a congratulatory
or send off kiss.
is a photocopy of the technical inspection for the 100 S that Cooper
drove in the 1955 Sebring race. Note that a "punch" does not
appear next to the items that the 100 S did not have, windshield wipers,
glass, and bumpers.
carpets must refer to the rubber matting that the S models had fixed
floors. A safety belt is shown - perhaps only one
for the driver side?
book, "12 Hours of Sebring" notes that the 1955 Sebring
12 Hours was one of the most controversial ever. With a field of 80
cars starting, the race became a battle between Ferrari and Jaguar,
with Maserati close behind. "At the finish, the Ferrari was mistakenly
declared the winner. Then the Jaguar was called to victory lane but
had run out of gas out on its "victory lap." Protests were filed and
10 days later the AAA officials declared the Jaguar the winner by a
margin of 25.4 seconds. Although one of the closest races in endurance
racing history, the Jaguar officially led all but one lap the entire
The Maserati 300S are listed as third and fourth place finishes.
Herson who owned a dealership named Manhattan supplied this photo
of Cooper in another 100 S to Robert
Griffin. He wrote, "This is a publicity blurb of Jackie Cooper and
the S type he drove which probably belonged to Austin. It certainly
was maintained by their people..we housed his vehicle on at least one
occasion when he came in for a local race."
photo must have been taken quickly near a busy road (perhaps through
Central Park?) without much thought being given to the background. There
is a woman with small children waiting to cross the street to the
right, and many benches lining the roadway. Can anyone identify this
is painted the standard colors of white over lobelia and has the
persplex "low" windshield
in place. Notice that Cooper had worn driving goggles for the trip
and just lowered them to his neck for
Cooper S came to Fourintune in 1989 somewhat assembled and quite complete. Owner, Bill Wood, had reunited the car and its engine during
1976 after running an ad in Road & Track. First came the call
about an engine, then months later a 100 S owner called about the car
missing that same engine. Both components were still in the New York
City area. Previous owners raced extensively on the east coast and
as far north as Canada this car.
Tom Kovacs is working on the polished aluminum "false firewall." The
chassis of 100 S cars were steel but fit with alloy superstructure
and painted silver. According to Roger Menadue, who ran the Donald
Healey competition works, this silver was a special anti-corrosion
paint from WWII aircraft. It was very dull but seemed effective. The
starter solenoid (far right on firewall) was located where a mechanic
could access it easily - saving time during pit stops during the endurance
races of Sebring and LeMans.
the valve cover removed you can see the Mallory distributor that Jackie
Cooper had requested. Cooper had raced a conventional Healey painted
Spruce Green prior to owning #3504. The four-branched exhaust manifold
is unique to the 100 S. The factory's attempt with headers was abandoned
after they shatter cracked during a race. The 100 S cars were fit
with a two-blade fan and were not prone to overheating problems. The
generator is a special, smaller type.
close-up photo of the pipes shows an original 100 S exhaust system
fit with a Burgess muffler. The two pipes exit on the driver's side
just underneath the seat, making the driver's side in this right hand
drive the "hot seat." The gas welding of the pipe to muffler raises
the muffler, creating better ground clearance. The brake master shown
here at top right is another special feature on the 100 S cars.
two fuel pick-ups on the oversize gas tank. The competition cars were
fit with two fuel pumps. One pick-up was higher than the other so that
you could not run out of gas on the track. Drivers had to switch to
the reserve pump and then come in for re-fueling. The 23-gallon tank
is so large that the spare tire must be stowed behind the seats rather
than inside the trunk.
seats in a 100 S do not have adjustable sliding tracks. Only the passenger
seat could be tipped forward allowing access to the spare tire. The
interior of the car was green,a standard color for the production BN1
and BN2 cars. Note that the transmission tunnel is covered in vinyl
and floors were fit with a patterned black rubber material rather than
a carpet set. This rubber material had various patterns over the course
of the 100 S production. The Derrington steering wheel, believed to
be original to the car, is the type drilled with a series of holes
rather than the slotted style.
hand made air deflector was unique to the 100 S cars and one of the
many modifications designed by Roger Menadue who ran the competition
department. Roger knew just how to make these from a sheet of aluminum
and did so for us to fit on the #29 car a few years later. The oil
cooler filter assembly (lower right) is from a Hippo truck. The standard
location could not be used due to the exhaust. The oil pan's capacity
was increased to 20 imperial pints by extending the forward end of
assembly of the Cooper S prior the Meadow Brook Hall Concours in 1990
where the Healey competed for the Peter Helck Trophy in the Race Car
Circle. The distinctive oval grill has the "S" flash fit to the right
side. The lenses under the headlights were not directionals, but running
lights. Some current owners opt to have both front and rear running
lights wired as directionals for safety purposes. This option maintains
the original appearance of the car from the exterior.
compartment photo is from the UK sales group that represented the
in 2002. He had raced the car in several international
rallies including the Targa Floria and the Mille Miglia. The "accordian" style
radiator hose is proper for the 100 S and rather difficult to come
by. Sales information indicated that the Italian had rebuilt the engine
and transmission prior one of the competition events.
the 100 S is admired at the Sunday car show held on the racetrack at
Lime Rock in 1990. The USA/British Challenge Series was racing at Lime
Rock that weekend - racing is not allowed on Sundays due to an ancient
ordinance invoked by a nearby church.
the January 1991 CHATTER magazine, Dick Lunney reports on the Cooper
100 S and
the 1966 Sebring/LeMans Sprite that were both owned by Wood at the
The Italian owner sold the Cooper S to a Chicago collector
in 2002. Triple S Racing bought the car in 2003 and actively campaigned
the Healey with vintage race groups on the east coast. The car raced
at Road America several times, most recently at the 2007 Kohler International
Challenge Race in July.
|Triple S behind the wheel at
Lime Rock in 2004.
|The race car concours in downtown Elkhart Lake fills
with both cars and people.
Featured in the AHCA 2009 Calendar for the month of April, the car now
is owned by
W. Story of California who plans to use the car for tours
and vintage rallies.
Photo by Reid Trummel.
Cooper's autobiography, "Please Don't Shoot My Dog" the
caption reads "The race car driver. It all started in
photo from his autobiography: "The auto racing team at
Sebring, 1955, with (L to R) Lance Macklin, Roy Jackson-Moore,
and Stirling Moss. When you start being too careful, it's time
to quit." That is definitely not the Cooper S in the photo!
photo just appeared in July 2009 in Healey Marque. These photos were
supplied by Scott Kiebiski of Canada. The 100 S registry records show
that Cooper's 100 S had left front damage at races in Edenvale Canada
on June 11, 1955.
photo of same race - interesting dark visor piece on helmet! An Austin
Healey banner hung on the fencing with spectators close by.
Cooper S at speed with Jackie behind the wheel after the crash damage
has been clipped away!
as number 13, the Cooper S takes a corner in a race after the damage
Sportsman of the month Jackie Cooper, one of racing’s avid
enthusiasts, shows strain after the tortuous 12 hour 1955 Sebring
event. Driving an Austin-Healey Jackie placed 44 out of a starting
field of 84 cars.
has been over 20 years since Fourintune Garage restored the Cooper
S for Bill Wood. Since that time, the car has had a busy career with
various owners who actively showed and raced the car.
in Europe by an Italian owner and then later competing on the vintage
circuit in the USA, the car has suffered a few mishaps which required
the various bumps and bruises to be repaired by whoever owned the
car at the time. In addition to matching the Spruce green paint here
and there, racing modifications were also done, some of which still
remain. The car wears the patina that only competition can create – continuing
the legacy that Jackie Cooper began in 1954!
The Cooper S sells at RM Sotheby’s Amelia Island 2015 sale. A west coast collector was the final bidder on the Healey which sold for just over one million dollars with buyer’s premium.